Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSS
Sound Design Academy sits down with actor Michael Pauley to discuss his recent success and growth on acx.com. Within less than a year Michael has managed to rack up over 70 titles on ACX, and made the leap to full time voiceover artist through September of 2015. Listen in to learn how you can do it too, and much more!
- Originally from Chicago, Ill
- Worked at the Southwest Shakespeare Conservatory
- University of Arizona – Undergrad
- Moved to New York City directly after undergrad
- Received his master’s from the University of Missouri – Kansas City
- Mentor: Ted Swetz
- Voiceover Workshop Coach: Jeff Dreisbach – McCorkle Casting
- Started doing audiobooks from home
- Artistic Director for Hyperion Theatre Company
- Michael actually has a small part in the upcoming PeeWee’s Holiday Netflix episode — keep an eye out for him.
- No matter the medium – relationships is the name of the game. Building great relationships with people who share your ideas and your way of working.
- There’s no longer an excuse — as an actor — to not have a demo reel. It doesn’t need to be from full productions, it just needs to be made.
- Nowadays we are able to produce professional audio from home whereas that was much more difficult a few years ago.
- Put your ego aside.
- You have to do what’s right for that project, and that client.
- All you have to work with is yourself. Your experiences. Your perspectives.
- I don’t try to be what I think they want me to be anymore… I present who I am and if I’m a right fit then great, and if not then they’re gonna find the right fit.
- Be humble with yourself.
- “Doctors practice medicine. Lawyers practice law. We have to practice our art.”
- It’s not a survival job, it’s a thrive-al job.
Referenced Projects, Places, and Resources
- Hyperion Theatre Company
- The Rising Dead by Devan Sagliani
- Landlocked by JA Sanchez
- Audiobook Creation Exchange: acx.com
- Gotham Comedy Club
- Inside Acting Podcast
- NT1 Rode Microphone
- Electro Voice RE20 Microphone
- Daring Greatly by Dr. Brené Brown
- The Power of Vulnerability Ted Talk by Dr. Brené Brown
- Michael Pauley’s Website