This video demonstrates the massive benefits of using an external interface with solid preamps over the cheap built in preamp that you find in a USB plug and play microphone. In this case, the microphone happens to have both a USB connection and an XLR jack, so I went ahead and used the exact same microphone — an ATR2100 — to let you hear the difference a preamp can make.
- No more USB plug and play
- Always use an XLR connections
Audio Technica ATR2100
- Has both a USB and an XLR connection
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface
- USB with Limiting applied
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with Limiting applied
- USB connection creates hiss
- USB components have less quality
- Knowledge = Level of Awesome
- Always use the XLR connection over the USB connection
If you loved this video please feel free to spread it around to those you care about. Also, if you haven’t subscribed to the Newsletter, be sure to. You get 18 royalty free music tracks which is a big ol’ bucket o’ awesome!